Staff, Tab, Note, & Number Systems info.
There are many ways to learn the FJI materials. By ear is one, and is encouraged. By eye is another, but is more difficult to catch in the videos …especially since I have the habit of moving my fingers as little as possible! Having the ability to read “standard staff notation” is most useful, but I also try to accommodate all kinds of players and learners by providing things like “Fiddler’s Tab” (FT), “Note Names and Finger Numbers” (NN/F#), and Note Numbers (NN) wherever appropriate and do-able.
Check out these links to pages with more detailed info on each system:
- Reading Standard Staff Notation or reading “music”
- Glean at least the timing of notes by learning just how to read rhythms
- Fiddler’s Tab – what is it?
- The Note Number System– explained
- Rhythm as the most important element in music – a short story