Music Mechanics/Music Theory – “Oh, I get it!” Help for the “Ah Ha” challenged.
Want to know how music works? The Fiddle Jam Method explains it all in a no-nonsense, easy to apply way, not just on paper but with instrument in hand, so you will be left with “as little thinking as possible” and can retain maximum joy in your playing!
Path 1 – the BASICS:
I’m going to steal this video from the Music Mechanics Pre-Quel Unit. This is the stuff that we all must understand and accept as a simple foundation in music making. You might want to get yourself a beverage of choice and pull up a chair. This video is about 25 minutes long. Then you can further check out the links below.
- What is a beat?
- Why doesn’t the music alphabet have H, I, J…?
- Half & Whole steps
- What is the note number system?
- What good is knowing about chords if a violin can’t play chords?
Path 2 – more advanced:
- The mighty “I – IV – V” progression & “growing” your ears
- 7th Chords & Secret Musician’s handshakes
- Diatonic “iii-vi-ii-V-I” progressions
- 9-11-13 chord tones
- diminished chords
- Harmonic Minor
As mentioned, I have also offered a 4-week intensive Music Mechanics 101 course in the past and have plans to re-release this soon! Check the School Store for availability, or watch for announcements in the Fiddle Jam Club Newsletter.
Here’s an auto generated list of every Music Mechanics FJi post for further study too!